Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Aerial view of the Lewis and Clark Bridge, Williston, N.D.
Aerial view of the Lewis and Clark Bridge, Williston, N.D.
TitleAerial view of the Lewis and Clark Bridge, Williston, N.D.
DescriptionAerial view overlooking the Lewis & Clark bridge which spans the Missouri River between Williams County and McKenzie County, North Dakota. "Five years following the final demise of Williston's Missouri river pontoon bridge, an effort began which was to end up successfully spanning the ‘great divider'. It was during the 1923 session of the N.D. Legislature that McKenzie county representative Fred Eckert was successful in having the necessary bill passed. Then on April 22, 1926 bids for building the structure were opened. The cost came to more than $700, 000. Work began at the bridge site May 24, 1926 and dedication of the completed structure took place July 1, 1927 with Dr. Merriwether Lewis Anderson and his daughter, Sarah, descendents of the Merriwether Lewis of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, as guests of honor."
General SubjectAerials
Subject (LCTGM)Aerial views
LocationWilliams County (N.D.)
Williston (N.D.)
McKenzie County (N.D.)
Item Number1-68-9-6
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original17 x 25 cm.
Publisher of OriginalWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry, Photo 100: Nostalgic Highlights of a Century, p. 52.
Transcription"Aerial View Lewis & Clark Bridge, Return Photo to Shemorry" - Handwritten on back of photograph.
"About 1965, Photo 2 - Wings 4-24, 70% pls" - Handwritten and crossed off on back of photograph.
"Page 52 Top, Bridge, 100%, crop marks, Left - Top - Bottom, Return to Shemorry" - Handwritten on paper taped to back of photograph.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-68-9-6)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at
Digital IDws16896
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^