Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Williston, downtown, N.D.
Williston, downtown, N.D.
TitleWilliston, downtown, N.D.
Date of OriginalBetween 1921 and 1925
DescriptionA view of the business district in downtown Williston, N.D. Many automobiles with Montana plates are parked along both sides of the street. Florsheim Shoe is located on the left side of the street. On the right side of the street are several cafes, a drug store, O.A. Houge, and ___ L. Hagen Hardware and Wholesale. Several residents are crossing the street.
General SubjectCity & town life
Subject (LCTGM)Cities & towns
Business districts
Automobiles
Roads
Sidewalks
Men
Women
Dresses
Hats
Suits (Clothing)
Stores & shops
Dry goods stores
Drugstores
Shoe stores
Cafes
Hardware stores
Subject (LCSH)Ford automobile
Ford Model T automobile
Organization NameFlorsheim Shoe (Williston, N.D.)
LocationWilliston (N.D.)
Decade1920-1929
Item Number1-75A-17-1
Negative Number1-75A-17-1
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original2 x 3 in.
Transcription"Sept. 1921 May, June July 1922 March April June 1925"--Handwritten on original box
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-75A-17-1)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws175A171
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^