Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Soldiers at Fort Crowder, Missouri
Soldiers at Fort Crowder, Missouri
TitleSoldiers at Fort Crowder, Missouri
Date of Original1943?
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionA large crowd of soldiers enjoying some down time inside a large hall at Fort Crowder, Missouri. Taken by Shemorry during service in WWII in the 164th Signal Photo Company as a combat photographer.
General SubjectPeople
Military
Subject (LCTGM)Soldiers
Men
People
Military uniforms
Military training
Military life
Military facilities
Hats
Interiors
Subject (LCSH)World War, 1939-1945
LocationMissouri
Fort Crowder (Mo.)
Neosho (Mo.)
Decade1940-1949
Item Number1-54-125-2
Negative Number1-54-125-2
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original5 x 6 cm.
Transcription"1024, Camp Crowder & Neosho" - Handwritten on envelope holding negatives.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.

Camp Crowder is a Missouri Army National Guard Training Site in Southwest Missouri, just south of Neosho. Fort Crowder was built in 1941 as a training center for the U. S. Army Signal Corps, and at its peak had nearly 47, 000 troops stationed there. Camp Crowder was activated shortly after the beginning of WWII and served as the temporary home of thousands of soldiers. The construction of Camp Crowder, one of the largest army installations in the midwest, doubled the population of Neosho in a matter of weeks. In 1946 Camp Crowder was closed as a basic training site. Fort Crowder was completely deactivated in 1958, and was declared surplus property in 1962.
Bibliographic ReferenceHistory information found on Fort Crowder was found at: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-crowder.htm
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-54-125-2)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws1541252
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^