Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Four Bears Memorial Bridge Dedication ceremony ribbon cutting, New Town, N.D.
Four Bears Memorial Bridge Dedication ceremony ribbon cutting, New Town, N.D.
TitleFour Bears Memorial Bridge Dedication ceremony ribbon cutting, New Town, N.D.
Date of Original1955-10-01
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionThe present-day Four Bears Memorial Bridge was dedicated with proper ceremonies Oct. 1, 1955. This photo was taken as Wilma Packineau gets ready to cut the ribbon opening it for traffic. Standing beside her on the right are LaVern Drags Wolf, great grand-daughter of Chief Four Bears; Mark Necklace, treasurer of the ‘Water Busters' an Indian group which promoted the construction of the bridge; and Frank Chase, chairman of the Water Busters. On Miss Packineau's left are N.D. Governor Norman Burnsdale and District Engineer Colonel H.L. Hille of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
General SubjectTransportation
Subject (LCTGM)Dedications
Rites & ceremonies
Subject (LCSH)Indians of North America
Indians of North America - Children
Indians of North America - Clothing & dress
Indians of North America - Industries
Indians of North America - Men
Indians of North America - Rites & ceremonies
Indians of North America - Transportation
Indians of North America - Women
Organization NameUnited States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
LocationNew Town (N.D.)
Four Bears Bridge (N.D.)
Fort Berthold Indian Reservation (N.D.)
Sanish (N.D.)
Item Number1-44-13-8
Negative Number1-44-13-8
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original10 x 13 cm.
Transcription"Ribbon cutting, Indians, Four Bears Bridge Dedication." -- Handwritten on envelope holding negatives.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Bibliographic ReferenceThe description is from Shemorry's caption that was with a similar photograph for the article "Four Bears Memorial Bridge: a boon for oil drillers, a remembrance of leaders" in the Williston Daily Herald, 2001-04-17, p. 1A. The article was part of Shemorry's series, "The Best Little Stories of the 20th Century" written weekly for the Herald.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-44-13-8)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at
Digital IDws144138
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^