Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Saint Luke's congregation outside church, Hebron Township, N.D.
Saint Luke's congregation outside church, Hebron Township, N.D.
TitleSaint Luke's congregation outside church, Hebron Township, N.D.
Date of Original1935 or 1936
DescriptionAn exterior view of St. Luke's Church in Hebron Township, N.D. The entire congregation, in formal dress, has gathered outside the church, among automobiles, for a group portrait.
General SubjectLandmarks
Social life & customs
Subject (LCTGM)Churches
People
Men
Women
Children
Boys
Girls
Automobiles
Dresses
Suits (Clothing)
Neckties
Coats
Group portraits
Organization NameSt. Lucas Church (Hebron Township, N.D.)
LocationHebron (Williams County, N.D. : Township)
Decade1930-1939
Item Number1-75B-6-11
Negative Number1-75B-6-11
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original2 x 3 in.
Transcription"Oct. 1935 June, July, Sept., Oct. Nov. 1936"--Handwritten on original box.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Bibliographic ReferenceIdentification of the church from The Wonder of Williams: A History of Williams County, p. 874.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-75B-6-11)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws175B611
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^