Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Northern School Supply, Fargo, N.D.
Northern School Supply, Fargo, N.D.
TitleNorthern School Supply, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original1983?
CreatorRoberts, Norene A.
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionView of the Robb-Lawrence Company warehouse building as viewed from the corner of N.P. Avenue and 8th street N. The building is a four story brick building with sandstone trim. The arched windows on the first level have been blocked up. Windows on the top level have a fan-shaped motif over them. Sign over entrance on right side states "Northern School Supply". Three automobiles parked on the right side of building, three people visible walking on the sidewalk. There is a fire escape visible on the building. Traffic lights visible at the intersection.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Warehouses
Fire escapes
Automobiles
Commercial facilities
Commercial streets
Traffic signs & signals
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Subject (AAT)Richardsonian Romanesque
Organization NameRobb-Lawrence Co. (Fargo, N.D.)
Northern School Supply (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - 8th Street N.
Fargo (N.D.) - 8th Street N. - 00 block
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue - 600 block
Decade1980-1989
Item Number2015.10.1
Format of OriginalGelatin silver prints
Dimensions of Original20 x 25 cm.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/History"The most imposing Richardsonian Romanesque building in Fargo is the 1903 Robb-Lawrence Company warehouse at 648-54 N.P. Avenue , known more commonly as Northern Book [sic] Supply. Designed by a young architect by the name of William C. Albrant, the building is faced with red brick with red sandstone trim. The entrance on N.P. Avenue includes a wide keystoned arch resting on sandstone piers. The third story windows are set in pairs and arched with the fan-shaped stamped metal motif in the arches. The Robb-Lawrence warehouse has the massive and weighty feeling of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The structural ruggedness inherent in the style suits the original function of the building. The building construction is massive post and beam, with heavy service elevators originally intended for moving heavy machinery to storage on the upper floors. The Robb-Lawrence Company, which commissioned the building, was one of the many agricultural machinery dealers in turn-of-the-century Fargo. The company carried Tiffin wagons, Keystone rakes, Kingman planters, loaders, corn huskers, harrows, cultivators, plows and Studebaker wagons" - Fargo's Heritage, by Norene A. Roberts, p. 19.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionNorene Roberts Photograph Collection 2015
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/1145
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2015.10.1)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs004844
Original SourcePhotograph
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^