Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Exterior of Northern School Supply Company, Fargo, N.D.
Exterior of Northern School Supply Company, Fargo, N.D.
TitleExterior of Northern School Supply Company, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Original196-?
DescriptionExterior of Northern School Supply building showing west and south sides, taken from 8th Street North. Automobiles parked by curb in front of store.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Warehouses
Commercial facilities
Automobiles
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Subject (AAT)Richardsonian Romanesque
Organization NameNorthern School Supply (Fargo, N.D.)
Robb-Lawrence Co. (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue - 600 block
Fargo (N.D.) - 8th Street N.
Fargo (N.D.) - 8th Street N. - 00 block
Decade1960-1969
Item Number2062.2.4
Format of OriginalColor images
Transparencies
Dimensions of Original10 x 13 cm.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Color on transparency has shifted.
Biography/History"The most imposing Richardsonian Romanesque building in Fargo is the 1903 Robb-Lawrence Company warehouse at 648-54 N.P. Avenue , known more commonly as Northern Book [sic] Supply. Designed by a young architect by the name of William C. Albrant, the building is faced with red brick with red sandstone trim. The entrance on N.P. Avenue includes a wide keystoned arch resting on sandstone piers. The third story windows are set in pairs and arched with the fan-shaped stamped metal motif in the arches. The Robb-Lawrence warehouse has the massive and weighty feeling of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The structural ruggedness inherent in the style suits the original function of the building. The building construction is massive post and beam, with heavy service elevators originally intended for moving heavy machinery to storage on the upper floors. The Robb-Lawrence Company, which commissioned the building, was one of the many agricultural machinery dealers in turn-of-the-century Fargo. The company carried Tiffin wagons, Keystone rakes, Kingman planters, loaders, corn huskers, harrows, cultivators, plows and Studebaker wagons"--Fargo's Heritage, by Norene A. Roberts, p. 19.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionNorthern School Supply Photograph Collection 2062
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/1108
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (2062.2.4)
Languageeng
Digital IDrs005572
Original SourceColor transparency
Digital AlterationsThumbnail image color corrected using Auto Color Adjustment, Photoshop Elements version 7.0. Uncorrected jp2 on file.
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^