Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Boys' Dormitory, Ladies' Hall, and principal's residence, 1904
Boys' Dormitory, Ladies' Hall, and principal's residence, 1904
TitleBoys' Dormitory, Ladies' Hall, and principal's residence, 1904
DescriptionView of Concordia College in 1904. The Boys' Dormitory is on the left. Ladies' Hall is the structure in the middle. The principal's residence is the furthest building on the right.
Date of Original1904
CreatorFlaten, O. E.
Creator RolePhotographer
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Universities & colleges
Organization NameConcordia College (Moorhead, Minn.)--Buildings
LocationMoorhead (Minn.)
Clay County (Minn.)
United States
Item NumberP3796E
Format of OriginalPhotographs
Dimensions of Original10 x 12 in.
Publisher of OriginalO. E. Flaten Studio
Place of PublicationMoorhead (Minn.)
Transcription"The old Concordia College"--handwritten on back of mount.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryBishop Whipple Hall was purchased in 1891 for $10, 000 and originally termed the "Main Building." As the first structure at Concordia College, it was used for office, classroom, and dormitory space. The structure was remodeled in 1921, 1954, and 1958 and was also named Ladies' Hall and Grose Hall at points in its history. The structure was renamed Bishop Whipple Hall in 1963.
The basement of Grose Hall was built in 1892 to house the kitchen and heating plant and was completed in 1921. The structure has been used for library, classroom, office, and dormitory space and was remodeled in 1962 and 1979.
The first floor of Academy Hall was completed in 1892 with the remaining floors being finished in 1893. From 1892 to 1944, the structure served as a men's dormitory. In 1944, the structure was named "South Hall" and served as a women's dormitory until 1962.
Bibliographical ReferenceErling N. Rolfsrud, Cobber Chronicle (Minnesota: Concordia College, 1966), 46.
Repository InstitutionConcordia College Library, College Archives
Repository CollectionPhotographs 1891-1910, RG 31.11.1 FF 4
Credit LineCourtesy of the Concordia College Archives.
Rights ManagementImage in public domain.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information on prices, contact the Concordia College Archives.
Digital IDcc000035
Original SourcePhotographic print
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^