Fort Abraham Lincoln was constructed in 1872 a short distance south of Mandan. The fort was originally named Fort McKeen. George Armstrong Custer was commandant until his death in 1876. This photograph shows the fort only one year later. The fort was abandoned in 1891. The buildings were torn down between 1894 and 1895. The fort became a State Park in 1908. The Civilian Conservation Corps constructed the modern park in the 1930s.