Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Steamboats H. W. Alsop or International and Selkirk, Red River, Grand Forks, Dakota Territory
Steamboats H. W. Alsop or International and Selkirk, Red River, Grand Forks, Dakota Territory
TitleSteamboats H. W. Alsop or International and Selkirk, Red River, Grand Forks, Dakota Territory
Date of Original188?
DescriptionTwo steamboats moored at opposite sides of the river. There is a barge alongside the steamboat on the left. The far shoreline is tree lined. There are several logs sticking up in the foreground forming some sort of abutment or block. People are visible on the upper decks of both boats. There are railroad cars in the background on the far shore.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Transportation
Water
People
Subject (LCTGM)Rivers
Waterfronts
Piers & wharves
Trees
Barges
Steamboats
Organization NameSelkirk (Steamboat)
H. W. Alsop (Steamboat)
International (Steamboat)
St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba Railway Company
LocationGrand Forks (N.D.)
Decade1880-1889
Item NumberB0234
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Transcription"Red River. Grand Forks"--Handwritten below photograph.
"Red River and Red River Boats Grand Forks in the 1880s. Selkirk on the right probably "H. W. Alsop" on the left. Ray Johnson, Fargo Forum thinks the other is the "International". Railroad cars are apparently St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba RR not from R. J. Feb 1957"--Handwritten on back of photograph.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title created by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Selkirk was built in 1871 at McCauleyville, Minn. and was part of Red River Transportation Line, owned by James J. Hill and Alexander Griggs. The International was owned by the same company, though built in 1862 at Georgetown, Minn. The H. W. Alsop was built in 1881-1882 at Moorhead, Minn.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Photograph Collection B
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (B0234)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDshB0234
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^