Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Count di Celera's body leaving the U.S.S. North Dakota in Naples, Italy
Count di Celera's body leaving the U.S.S. North Dakota in Naples, Italy
TitleCount di Celera's body leaving the U.S.S. North Dakota in Naples, Italy
Date of Original1919
DescriptionA casket bearing the body of Count di Celera, Italian ambassador from Italy, is visible in the center. Sailors on board are watching the casket being lowered from the ship. Several small boats are visible on the left.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectMilitary
Water
Subject (LCTGM)Battleships
Postcards
Coffins
Organization NameNorth Dakota (Ship)
United States. Navy. Atlantic Fleet
LocationNaples (Italy)
Decade1910-1919
Item Number2002-P-15-2-P48b
Format of OriginalPhotographic postcards
Dimensions of Original14 x 9 cm.
Transcription"Count di Celera's body leaving the U.S.S. N. Dak., Naples, Italy, Dec. 4, 1919, 'Herrmann' 38"--Handwritten on front of postcard.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryThe U.S.S. North Dakota (Battleship No. 29) was built by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1907. She was christened by Mary L. Benton of Fargo, N.D., on Nov. 10, 1908, was commissioned April 11, 1910, and first sailed in that year with the Atlantic Fleet. A dreadnought, the North Dakota had displacement of 20,000 tons, was 518 feet, 9 inches in overall length, with a beam (width) of 85 feet, 3 inches and a mean draught of 26 feet, 11 inches. The North Dakota's armaments consisted of ten twelve-inch guns mounted in five turrets on the longitudinal centerline of the ship, allowing them to fire broadsides in either direction. The ship also had fourteen five-inch guns, four three-pounders, four one-pounder semi-automatics, two three-inch field guns, two .30 cal. machine guns, and two twenty-one-inch torpedo tubes. The North Dakota was decommissioned in 1923 and sold for scrap on March 16, 1931.
Bibliographic ReferenceThe battleship U.S.S. North Dakota. Bismarck, ND: State Historical Society of North Dakota, July 1998.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionU.S.S. North Dakota Album 2002-P-15
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (2002-P-15-2-P48b)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDsh2002P152P48b
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^