Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Griggs House, Grand Forks, Dakota Territory
Griggs House, Grand Forks, Dakota Territory
TitleGriggs House, Grand Forks, Dakota Territory
Date of Original1882
CreatorBlackburn, George F.
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionA large brick hotel building. There are four visible second story balconies. People stand on two of the balconies and on the sidewalk in front of the building. A horse and coach is parked on the street. A streetlight is on the corner.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
City & Town Life
People
Pioneer Era
Transportation
Subject (LCTGM)Hotels
Hotel employees
Balconies
Coach drivers
Carriages & coaches
Streets
Street lights
Sidewalks
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Personal NameIngalls, C. B.
Ingalls, Mable
Ingalls, Arthur
Platt, Mabel
Shaw, Charles H.
Moran, Mike
Dunn, Arthur W.
Organization NameGriggs House (Grand Forks, N.D.)
LocationGrand Forks (N.D.)
Dakota Territory
AddressGrand Forks (N.D.) - Demers Avenue
Decade1880-1889
Item NumberB0462
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Transcription"Griggs House 1882 on DeMers Ave C. B. Ingalls, Proprietor & Mrs. Ingalls on Middle porch Children on porch. Mable & Arthur Ingalls, Mabel Platt & playmate. Chas. H. Shaw & Mrs. Shaw on East Porch. Mike Moran standing forward of Corner Entrance with straw hat. Arthur W. Dunn at extreme right by lamp post, with low derby hat. Frank W. Woolley on hotel bus."--Handwritten on back of photograph. "Geo. F. Blackburn, Photographer, Grand Forks, D.T."--Stamped on back of photograph.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Griggs House was the first modern hotel in Grand Forks. It was built in 1882 on Demers Avenue next to the Great Northern Railroad Depot. The hotel eventually changed its name to The Imperial and was torn down after World War II.
Bibliographic ReferenceTweton, D. Jerome. Grand Forks : A Pictorial History. Donning Co., Norfolk: c1986. 30-31.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Photograph Collection B
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (B0462)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDshB0462
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^