Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fort Berthold Indian Mission, Elbowoods, N.D.
Fort Berthold Indian Mission, Elbowoods, N.D.
TitleFort Berthold Indian Mission, Elbowoods, N.D.
Date of Originalbetween 1922 and 1940
DescriptionThree large buildings. Farthest to the left is a house. The other two buildings are school, dormitory and worship facilities. Both have towers. There is a dirt road and grass in the foreground.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectEducation
Indians of North America
Religion
Art & Architecture
Subject (LCTGM)Missions
Indian reservations
Towers
Houses
Boarding schools
Postcards
Personal NameCase, Harold, 1895-
Organization NameUnited States. Office of Indian Affairs. Fort Berthold Agency
Fort Berthold Indian Mission
LocationElbowoods (N.D.)
Fort Berthold Indian Reservation (N.D.)
Decade1920-1929
1930-1939
Item NumberB0734-01
Format of OriginalPostcards
Publisher of OriginalThe Albertype Co. (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Place of PublicationBrooklyn (N.Y.)
Transcription"Fort Berthold Indian Mission, Elbowoods, North Dakota"--Printed on front of postcard.
"Fort Berthold Indian Mission with the Gros Ventre, Arickaree And Mandan Indians on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation Founded May 9th, 1876 School and seven church centers Population 1576 Native Americans Reservation, half million acres Needs: Scholarships Furnishings Car for Field Work Remit to Rev. H. W. Case, Elbowoods, N.D."--Printed on back of postcard.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title created by staff.
Biography/HistorySon of the Star (Arikara), Crows Breast (Hidatsa) and Red Cow (Mandan), gave land for the Congregational mission in 1876 at Like-a-Fishhook Village/Old Fort Berthold. In 1897 the mission moved about 20 miles to Elbowoods, where these facilities were built. Harold Case arrived in 1922, and remained the chief missionary until the flooding of Elbowoods in 1954.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Photograph Collection B
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (B0734-01)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDshB0734-01
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^