Harris Baukol and Hugo Domrese formed a partnership in 1928 and began purchasing land in the Noonan area. The following year Baukol-Noonan Lignite, Inc. was created. By 1933 this was the third largest coal concern in North Dakota. The Noonan mine ceased production in 1986. In 1988 the company was purchased by Minnesota Power and thereafter the name changed to BNI, Ltd.