Theodore Roosevelt came to North Dakota first in 1883 to hunt buffalo. This was his cabin on the Maltese Cross (also known as Chimney Butte) Ranch. It was originally located 7 miles south of Medora. While Roosevelt was president, the cabin was exhibited in St. Louis and Portland. After the tour, the cabin was moved to the state capitol grounds, where it remained until 1959, when the National Park Service moved it back to the Badlands.