Erected in 1926, the Sunnyside Farm Barn was the central focus of the North Dakota State Training School from 1926 to 1971. Hundreds of Training School inmates worked in the Sunnyside Farm Barn on a daily basis, learning skills that would equip them to be productive members of North Dakota's predominantly agricultural society after their release. In 1971, the state legislature ordered the institution to turn its farming operations over to the State Penitentiary. The Penitentiary continued to use Sunnyside Farm for nearly two more decades. Since 1989 the barn has stood empty. The building was entered into the National Register of Historic Places 1996-01-19.