Charles L. Hall was born in England and came to the United States as a young child. He was educated in New York and practiced as an architect for 5 years. He joined a church that made him interested in the welfare of the disadvantaged. The Home Missionary Society sent him to Dakota Territory, and he stayed in South Dakota after statehood. In 1876 he moved to Fort Berthold, where the Fort Berthold Indian Mission was later established at Elbowoods. He retired to live with his daughter Deborah in South Dakota.