The First National Bank was established in Bismarck in 1879, and was the second oldest bank in the state. The original bank building burned in 1898 and was replaced with another building built in the same location at the corner of 4th Street and Main. The exterior of the bank was remodeled in 1953 and 1954 to celebrate the bank's 75th anniversary. Ground was broken for a new bank in the late 1970s, and the bank moved to the corner of Broadway and 3rd Street in 1981. The name of the bank was changed to First Bank. This location is now U.S. Bank.