The Custer Trail Ranch was founded in 1881 by the Eaton Brothers Howard, Will, and Alden, who moved from Pennsylvania. The ranch was located about 4 miles south of Medora, N.D. The ranch was later owned by Bill McCarty. In 1931 McCarty sold buildings and land on the east side of the ranch to R.S. Johnson, who later sold it to a group of local Lutheran Churches who began the Badlands Bible Camp Corporation in 1945.