The site of the Adams County Courthouse in Hettinger, North Dakota originally consisted of all of Block 5. A wood-frame courthouse and sheriff's residence were situated east of the present courthouse location from about 1907. The current building was added to the site in 1928. The horizontal composition and decorative elements of the building lean towards the federalist revival style, while the massing of vertical composition on the spandrels are more akin to Art Deco. This building was designed by Ira Rush, an architect who won many commissions for courthouses in the state. The building was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on 1985/11/14.