Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Farmhouse kitchen interior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
Farmhouse kitchen interior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
TitleFarmhouse kitchen interior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
Date of Original200-
DescriptionThe kitchen of the Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park in Pembina County (N.D.) is housed in the single story addition to the main house added in 1921. The walls, ceilings, and cabinets are painted white, with light green trim. The floors are of linoleum sheet over wood boards. The propane gas stove can be seen at the right foreground, and the other items seen in the kitchen were original to the house and reflect the Gunlogsons long association with the house. The majority of the construction in this room is attributed to Loa Gunlogson (1890-1983).
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectAgriculture
Historic sites
Subject (LCTGM)Farms
Homesteading
Dwellings
Kitchens
Subject (AAT)Vernacular architecture
Personal NameGunlogson, G. B. (Gunnlauger Bjarni), 1887-1983
LocationPembina County (N.D.)
Icelandic State Park (N.D.)
Decade2000-2009
Item Number32PM208-67
Format of OriginalSlides
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Gunlogson Farmstead historic site represents the ethnic heritage and cultural characteristics of Icelandic immigrants to North Dakota. The farm was established by Eggert and Rannveig Gunnlaugson in 1880. They raised five children in the home, as well as accomodating pioneer travelers and houseguests. One of their children, G.B. Gunlogson (1887-1983) was an important figure in agricultural and mechanical invention as well as the environmental movement in North Dakota. The farmstead was donated to the state as a nature preserve by G.B. Gunlogson in 1964. The farmstead was entered into the National Register of Historic Place 2008/09/18.
Bibliographic ReferenceNational Register of Historic Places nomination filed 2008/07/28.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Archaeology and Historic Preservation Division Collection
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (32PM208-67)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDsh32PM20867
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^