Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Barn exterior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
Barn exterior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
TitleBarn exterior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
Date of Original200-
DescriptionThe historic, gable-roofed livestock and hay barn at the north edge of the Gunlogson Farmstead site at Icelandic State Park in Pembina County (N.D.) was built in 1922. The lower level of the barn is earth-bermed, forming a bank-barn. The upper portion of the barn is covered in wood shiplap siding and corner boards painted cool-gray with white trim. Historic photographs suggest that the original paint scheme may have been all white. The roof is of cedar shingles. The distinctive large-module concrete block foundation is of local manufacture, produced in Akra by John Gunglogson. A large tree can be seen in the left of the photograph.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectAgriculture
Historic sites
Subject (LCTGM)Farms
Homesteading
Barns
Trees
Subject (AAT)Vernacular architecture
Personal NameGunlogson, G. B. (Gunnlauger Bjarni), 1887-1983
LocationPembina County (N.D.)
Icelandic State Park (N.D.)
Decade2000-2009
Item Number32PM208-55
Format of OriginalSlides
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title created by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Gunlogson Farmstead historic site represents the ethnic heritage and cultural characteristics of Icelandic immigrants to North Dakota. The farm was established by Eggert and Rannveig Gunnlaugson in 1880. They raised five children in the home, as well as accomodating pioneer travelers and houseguests. One of their children, G.B. Gunlogson (1887-1983) was an important figure in agricultural and mechanical invention as well as the environmental movement in North Dakota. The farmstead was donated to the state as a nature preserve by G.B. Gunlogson in 1964. The farmstead was entered into the National Register of Historic Place 2008/09/18.
Bibliographic ReferenceNational Register of Historic Places nomination filed 2008/07/28.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Archaeology and Historic Preservation Division Collection
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (32PM208-55)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDsh32PM20855
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^