Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Farmhouse exterior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
Farmhouse exterior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
TitleFarmhouse exterior view, Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park, Pembina County, N.D.
Date of Original200-
DescriptionThe farmhouse on the Gunlogson Farmstead at Icelandic State Park in Pembina County (N.D.) was constructed with a light wood-frame and balloon construction of locally milled lumber in two main phases. The two-story gable-roofed part was built beginning in 1882 and completed in 1890. The one-story, shed-roofed addition and summer kitchen were added in 1921. The exterior features 4:4 double hung windows and shiplap siding painted white with cool-gray trim and corner boards. Trees can be seen in the background along with picnic tables which hint at the location's current use as a park, while an expanse of grass can be seen in the foreground.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectAgriculture
Historic sites
Subject (LCTGM)Farms
Homesteading
Dwellings
Subject (AAT)Vernacular architecture
Personal NameGunlogson, G. B. (Gunnlauger Bjarni), 1887-1983
LocationPembina County (N.D.)
Icelandic State Park (N.D.)
Decade2000-2009
Item Number32PM208-59
Format of OriginalSlides
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title created by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Gunlogson Farmstead historic site represents the ethnic heritage and cultural characteristics of Icelandic immigrants to North Dakota. The farm was established by Eggert and Rannveig Gunnlaugson in 1880. They raised five children in the home, as well as accomodating pioneer travelers and houseguests. One of their children, G.B. Gunlogson (1887-1983) was an important figure in agricultural and mechanical invention as well as the environmental movement in North Dakota. The farmstead was donated to the state as a nature preserve by G.B. Gunlogson in 1964. The farmstead was entered into the National Register of Historic Place 2008/09/18.
Bibliographic ReferenceNational Register of Historic Places nomination filed 2008/07/28.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Archaeology and Historic Preservation Division Collection
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (32PM208-59)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDsh32PM20859
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^