Fort Stevenson was established in 1867. The fort buildings were built from the cottonwood trees that grew in the area, and made adobe bricks from local clay. Philippe Regis de Trobriande commanded the fort from 1867-1870. The post was abandoned in August 1883, after the surrender of the Sioux. The buildings were turned over to the Bureau of Indian Affairs and were used by the Fort Berthold Indian School until 1894. The site of Fort Stevenson was inundated by the waters of Lake Sakakawea after the building of the Garrison Dam, but Fort Stevenson State Park is named in the fort's memory.