Fort Abraham Lincoln was built on the west bank of the Missouri River. Very nearby was the infantry post, Fort McKean. Fort Abraham Lincoln was commanded by Colonel George Armstrong Custer until his death in battle in June, 1876. Custer led important expeditions to support the Northern Pacific Railroad survey and to the Black Hills from Fort A. Lincoln. Fort Lincoln did not have a stockade fence around it. The original fort and buildings at Fort Abraham Lincoln were disassembled in 1894. A reconstruction of the Custer House was opened to the public in June 1989.