Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Exterior facade, Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, N.D.
Exterior facade, Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, N.D.
TitleExterior facade, Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, N.D.
Date of Original198-
DescriptionBuilt in 1883, the Kidder County Courthouse in Steele, N.D. was originally of an Italianate composition, as seen in its projecting three-story tower and non-rectangular plan. This Italianate expression can be further seen in its double brackets, segmentally arched windows and mansardic roof. 1913 alterations included replacement of the third story roof with a multiple hipped roof with two dormers, and the shifting of the entrance 180 degrees, but the structure still exhibits several of its historic design features including brackets, original arches over the windows, the front door with transom and sidelights, brick piers, and corbelling at the cornice.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectArt & Architecture
Court houses
Subject (LCTGM)Courthouses
Government facilities
County government
Subject (AAT)Italianate
Personal NameSteele, Matthew Forney, 1861-1953
Organization NameKidder County Courthouse (Steele, N.D.)
LocationSteele (N.D.)
Decade1980-1989
Item Number32KD3-02
Format of OriginalSlides
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
RelationNorth Dakota County Courthouses Thematic Nomination
Biography/HistoryThe Kidder County Courthouse has served as a courthouse longer than any other in the state. The building is as old as the Stutsman County Courthouse, the oldest extant court building, but the Stutsman County building has been vacated while the Kidder County building continues in excellent condition. One of the significant associations of the Kidder County Courthouse is with Wilbur F. Steele who built it as a grand hotel with the intent to convince legislators to relocated the territorial capital from Yankton to Steele. When he was unsuccessful, he convinced the county commission to acquire the hotel for use as a courthouse. The Kidder County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 11/14/85 as part of a North Dakota Courthouse Thematic Nomination.
Bibliographic ReferenceNational Register of Historic Places Nomination
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Archaeology and Historic Preservation Division Collection
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (32KD302)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDsh32KD302
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^