Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Courtroom interior view, Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, N.D.
Courtroom interior view, Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, N.D.
TitleCourtroom interior view, Kidder County Courthouse, Steele, N.D.
Date of Original198-
DescriptionThis interior photograph of the courtroom in the Kidder County Courthouse in Steele, N.D. shows the high level of integrity remaining in the interior of the building. The original pressed metal ceilings remain, as does the liberal use of oak in the baseboards and wainscoting. The light fixtures are also original. From this angle we can see several rows of chairs for the audience as well as the jury box seating. An American flag is displayed on the back wall near the door.
Ordering Informationhttp://history.nd.gov/archives/whatphotos.html
General SubjectArt & Architecture
Court houses
Subject (LCTGM)Courthouses
Government facilities
County government
Courtrooms
Flags
Doors & doorways
Chairs
Subject (AAT)Italianate
Personal NameSteele, Matthew Forney, 1861-1953
Organization NameKidder County Courthouse (Steele, N.D.)
LocationSteele (N.D.)
Decade1980-1989
Item Number32KD3-13
Format of OriginalSlides
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
RelationNorth Dakota County Courthouses Thematic Nomination
Biography/HistoryThe Kidder County Courthouse has served as a courthouse longer than any other in the state. The building is as old as the Stutsman County Courthouse, the oldest extant court building, but the Stutsman County building has been vacated while the Kidder County building continues in excellent condition. One of the significant associations of the Kidder County Courthouse is with Wilbur F. Steele who built it as a grand hotel with the intent to convince legislators to relocated the territorial capital from Yankton to Steele. When he was unsuccessful, he convinced the county commission to acquire the hotel for use as a courthouse. The Kidder County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 11/14/85 as part of a North Dakota County Courthouse Thematic Nomination.
Bibliographic ReferenceNational Register of Historic Places Nomination
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionState Historical Society of North Dakota Archaeology and Historic Preservation Division Collection
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota (32KD313)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Digital IDsh32KD3-13
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^